Tuesday, August 9, 2005

Now Who Will I Watch?


Peter Jennings was the only reason to watch network news. I am an avowed Fox News junkie. Yet most every night, at 6:30, I was watching ABC News. Not because I thought that ABC was getting all the stories right, but because Peter Jennings made me feel better about the news.
As news anchors go, most are plastic Ken dolls, reading the news; hoping that their hair doesn't move between commercial breaks. Watching Jennings was like sitting in your favorite college class, listening to the older professor while he shared his experiences. I never felt that he was talking down to the audience, but was sharing his knowledge and understanding in hopes of making us all better citizens of the world.
As this generation of news reporters dies out, we are left with voids that will remain empty for a long while. There will never be another Cronkite, or Brinkley and Hunt; and there will never be another Peter Jennings.

No comments:

Post a Comment